Wondering if your pet can be insured against life-threatening illnesses? Want to know the importance of insuring your pet? Explore our detailed guide on analysing pet insurance and its worth.
Just like humans, our pets are also prone to unforeseen health issues and emergencies that require long-term medical surveillance. Unanticipated illnesses can disrupt your pet's life and leave behind a significant financial drain on you. That's where pet insurance comes into play to provide the best healthcare and financial protection. Explore the key reasons why pet insurance is a wise investment!
What is Pet Insurance?
Pet insurance safeguards the overall health and well-being of your pooch. Insuring pets has become a great way to converge financial as well as medical assistance. Thus, pet insurance is a great saviour that provides you with the best medical and legal assistance.
Importance of Pet Insurance
Offering a multitude of benefits, pet insurance is one of the most reliable options to deal with a medical emergency in pets. It offers peace of mind, provides the best possible treatment and allows you to focus on giving the right care and affection that your ill pet needs from you.
1. Optimum Healthcare
Appropriate treatment and medical care can be ensured by simply opting for an insurance policy. Coverage benefits for dental issues, cataracts, fractures, pregnancy complications, parasitic diseases, etc can be reaped out, depending on the policy you choose. From basic wellness to major surgeries and chronic conditions, pet insurance keeps you free of hefty costs. Moreover, additional healthcare facilities can be availed for senior dogs.
2. Easy Affordability
Pet insurance provides financial protection and minimizes the burden on your wallet. By investing in an affordable pet insurance policy, you can get exclusive medical care, accident protection and more. Also, a lot of people abandon their pets after the diagnosis of a chronic medical condition in their pets due to expensive medical treatment. Therefore, getting your pet insured is a great option that eases your burden.
3. Best Healthcare
Having pet insurance enables you to choose the best alternative for your pet. You can opt for specialized treatments, advanced procedures and consultation without major financial constraints. This helps you to make informed decisions based on your pet's condition. Insurance provides you peace of mind and confidence for better healthcare facilities in the interest of your pet.
Also, check out Top 10 Pet Care Tips Every Pet Owner Should Know
Types of Pet Insurance
Most of the pet health insurance policies provide coverage for the following illnesses:
- Accidents, foreign object ingestion, broken bones and bite wounds
- Dental diseases like periodontics, gingivitis and tooth resorption
- Unexpected skin allergies, gastrointestinal issues, glaucoma, etc.
- Chronic illnesses like diabetes, arthritis, heart conditions, and more
- Inherited problems such as hip dysplasia and hyperthyroidism
- Surgeries for ligaments, cataracts
- Cancer diagnosis, treatment and medication
- Diagnostics of faecal problems, allergies, x-rays, blood tests and MRIs
Additional coverage benefits
- Vaccination and Veterinary check-ups
- Physical therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic care and behaviour modification therapy
- Lost pet advertising and reward
- Breeding and pregnancy expenses
- End-of-life care, euthanasia and cremation expenses
It is important to register for insurance with Municipal Corporation or local government authority. Besides filing the proposal form, you will be required to submit photographs of your dog's face, body, and any birthmark. Fill up the form with relevant details with the help of your veterinarian. You will be required to show the timely vaccination report, circulatory blood count (CBC), urine test or chest X-Ray, as asked. Other documents might also be required depending on the insurer you opt for.
How to File an Insurance Claim
Thoroughly study the insurance policy in advance to know about the claimable costs.
- Obtain the required invoices, medical records, hospital bills, and any other document that follows your pet’s treatment.
- Check out the insurer’s website/app since most claim forms are available online. If not, reach out to the insurer to obtain the claim form offline.
- Carefully fill out the form with relevant details. Ask your veterinarian’s office to help you with your pet’s health status details.
- Recheck the details thoroughly and submit the application.
- Wait for the form review and further processing. Some insurers process the claims within 24 hours. However, it might take 15-30 days for the entire process.
- If your claim is approved with the reimbursement amount, payment will be made directly to the vet or as mentioned in the policy rules.
- However, if your claim is denied, check the reason, rectify the mistake, and reapply. Write an appeal letter/email to the company if necessary.
Emerging Pet Insurance Sector in India
The pet health insurance sector in India has seen fast-paced growth, especially in recent years. Factors like higher disposable income, changing attitude towards animals, increasing pet ownership, growing awareness about pet healthcare, etc are responsible for this emergence. The Covid-19 pandemic has also brought about a surge in the rate of insuring pets all across the globe. Moreover, the increasing rate of inflation, hefty expenditures on healthcare, hospital bills and treatment costs are also driving pet owners to for Analysing pet insurance and its worth.
FAQs for Analysing Pet Insurance and Its Worth
What are the best pet insurance companies in India?
Some of the best pet health insurance companies in India are - Bajaj Allianz Pet Dog Insurance Policy, Future Generali India Dog Health Insurance, The New India Assurance Dog Insurance Policy, The Oriental Insurance Dog Insurance and Digit Pet Insurance Policy.
What are the additional coverage benefits of pet insurance?
Additional coverage benefits of pet insurance include physical therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic care and behaviour modification therapy, lost pet advertising and rewarding, breeding and pregnancy expenses, end-of-life care, euthanasia and cremation expenses.
Is insurance for puppies different from senior dogs?
Just like in humans, pet insurance for senior dogs is higher than that for a puppy because an older dog is more prone to diseases and requires frequent healthcare as compared to a yonder dog.